Can I just start by saying I would do ANYTHING in the world to go back? That TML2018 could possibly have been one of my absolute favorite trips! That when people say it is a bucket list item - it really is!!
Listen to me! I, Nikita Phulwani, listen to PUNJABI songs! I do not know Alesso's last name or Ingrosso's first name. You get me? I don't listen to the kind of music that they play at a festival like TML! So if I am saying I had the time of my life, means it really must be good!
And I don't care if no one reads this post because I know this is a plus size fashion blog in Dubai - but MY BLOG MY RULES (LOL)! So here is a little insight into my Tomorrowland 2018 experience in Boom, Belgium!
- So if you are lucky and really lucky, you will get tickets directly via the website in your first go. If not, you need to rely on third party websites such as Viagogo etc to buy the tickets. Its all authentic but its just that when you buy from the official website, tickets are cheaper + you get the bracelet and the whole welcome kit sent to your doorstep - which is kind of cool
- Now we chose to stay in Brussels in a hotel. Brussels is about a 30 minute car ride from Boom (where the concert takes place). We chose to say in Brussels for several reasons; staying in Antwerp or Boom (nearby areas) would literally mean we are in a village and we would have nothing to do when we arrived. We landed a day before the festival so yea. We didn't opt to stay in the tents etc at the festival area because we needed proper washrooms, beds and shower areas. I think after 12 hours of non stop dancing and being out, we all need a space to come freshen up and relax to be charged for the next day
3. Getting to the festival
- So as mentioned we were about 30 minutes away via road so we would first get into our cabs and drive 30 minutes. Taxis cannot really go inside the village; After being dropped at a point where taxis could go, we would start a walk that was at least 20-30 minutes long! THIS was the bitchiest walk of my life. Imagine walking back after the 12 hour day! yes! Nasty! This might be the only annoying part of the day - that is probably because I am lazy lol - no but it was annoying -_-
4. Rules at the festival
- Keep in mind they check all bags and backpacks at the festival. You are not allowed to carry any drinks or beverages from outside. Don't even carry your deos or perfumes as everything will be thrown before you enter the festival
5. Getting inside
- Since our tickets were from ViaGogo we all had to carry our passports on Day 1 to show that we are the ticket bearers and claim our bracelets. Bear in mind, this bracelet needs to be guarded with your life for the three days of the festival. This bracelet is how you enter, how you exit and how you buy water, food etc! Try not to lose it, but if you do, each bracelet has a unique number behind it - till you have an image of that number, you can go to the authorities and sort yourself out again.
- This might become your most used word for those three days :P Pearls is the official currency of Tomorrowland. Such a dreamy world - they use pearls to buy things! LOVES IT!
So yea, there are top up counters where you pay Euros as per your choice and get pearls. Everything inside is only available on pearls basis - no cash or card. I loved how organized this was!
6. Stages at the festival
- Now keep in mind there are like 20 stages in the whole area. It is literally a city by itself. I was so glad that I went with people who were familiar with how things work + had knowledge about the different artists who were playing. Or I know, I would be stuck to one stage only. You really really must walk around and plan which artist you want to listen to in order to really experience Tomorrowland in all its glory! The stages are done up so well - some have waterfalls, some have mushrooms, some are in the forest, some are rave caves - ITS CRAZY!
6. Tomorrowland Fashion
- Now people are dressed to the T! You will see some insane costumes, crazy head pieces, crazy outfits, stickers on the face on the body - its MAD! and you will also see men without tshirts in shorts or girls in a tank top and shorts. On the first day, my ambitious self had stickers on her face, fake hair stuck to my head, matching chunky earrings - 1.5 hours and It was all off! Please do not wear kajal yea! End of the first night my kajal was down to my cheeks. My point is wear clothes that are comfortable but trendy and try to keep the hair and makeup on the minimal side.
SHOES! It is so so so important top be in comfortable shoes that are affordable too. Do not wear your fancy sneakers here - because all the walking in mud and grass, unexpected rain, will turn your white sneakers to patchy black shoes by day 3. I was warned about this and bought shoes that were inexpensive, used them like a mad person for the three days and left them there because that's how dirty they got.
- This was something I was really scared about but I swear everything at the festival is so organized - its unbelievable! So they have those portable stand alone washrooms in multiple areas through out the venue. I will not say they are as clean as a 5 star hotel but there are people constantly replenishing the tissue rolls and cleaning in a basic manner. It is pretty good for the number of people that are attending
- There is a bar at every stage serving all kinds of beverages. There are also a couple of food areas with stalls of food from around the world. You will get Korean, Arabic, American - all sorts of food there! No issues at all!!! Prices are like festival prices. I found the food to be more expensive honestly. Beers were between 2-4 pearls which is around 6-8 Euros approximately
9. DO NOT FORGET
- You must must must carry the flag of your country! Its just cool, fun and a way to REPRESENT!
That sums it up I guess! Also, I am already planning to go next year. There are a few things I would do differently though:
- try to stay close to the festival village. We spent AED 100-150 per person just for transport back and forth to the city
- try to get the tickets from the official website (this is not such a deal breaker) but there are party flights that depart from selected locations in Europe. I want to go in one of those party flights and I think the way to take that package is only through the website
Here are some more pictures of my friends and I having the time of our life!
So yea! If you are not planning to go, I suggest you do and convince all your friends because it is EPIC! and worth every single penny!!! xx
Learn how to let go and move on #DilPeMatLeYaar
Surround yourself with loved ones #NoBadVibes
If nothing works, become a Unicorn! They are always happy!