Everything I Learned About the New License Law for Influencers at the ITP Live Summit
March 27, 2018
Hi guys! So ever since the National Media Council in Dubai announced that all Influencers who monetize from their social media accounts and/or blogs need to have a valid media license - there have been SOOOO many questions and what not
As someone who is in the blogger space and also in PR, I am still trying to find out the exact details and gather as much as information as I can. Anyway, today I attended the #ITPLiveSummit which basically had industry experts as panelists talking about the world of influencing as well as what the new law means for us. Here are a few key pointers I gathered
What is the cost and validity of the license?
- Approximately AED 15,000 and it needs to be renewed annually.
Do influencers represented by agencies also need licenses?
- YES! even though the brand is hiring an agency to recruit influencers, the influencer still needs a license
I don't take any money for my reviews and posts. I just do barter deals in exchange for restaurant visits, hotel stay cays etc. Do I need a license?
- YES! For any exchange, be it money or products, you still need a LICENSE!
PS This will make the lives of PR VERY HARD =[
I am a Dubai based influencer but I am doing a paid project with a company overseas for promotions that are happening outside of the UAE. Do I need a license?
- YES! Because you will still be invoicing them from here
Does the rule apply to International Influencers?
- No, this only applies to residents of the UAE
If an agency recruits an influencer for a brand and the content published is against the laws, who is liable for this?
- The social media account that has uploaded inappropriate content or content that is against the law (alcohol, drugs, cyber dating etc) will be punished. If there is proof that the agency has dictated the messaging, then both may be liable.
Do we need to declare when being paid by a brand?
- It is ideal to be transparent to the consumer. It is actually a requirement by law to declare paid partnerships.
PS Some industry experts also said that they have seen little to no effect (negative) when an influencer declares the paid partnership with a brand
What happens if I have continue blogging without a license?
- Well for one, your peers would complain about you to take you down and there could be fines etc
I JUST WANT TO ADD - I know all of the above only from the summit I attended today. I have a million more questions which I hope I get an answer to soon so I can share with you all
Please feel free to leave comments below with any questions and if their answers were discussed during the summit - I will let you all know xx
Learn how to let go and move on #DilPeMatLeYaar
Surround yourself with loved ones #NoBadVibes
If nothing works, become a Unicorn! They are always happy!